Wednesday, November 28, 2007

My pics are coming, and a great mussels recipe!


I know i promised pictures, but i got home later than expected last night and i am tech inept so i need to wait for my dad to get home and help me upload them. anyhow we made poached salmon with potato gauffrets (little waffle-shaped fried potatos) and mussels with pasta. I love mussels! so i thought i'd share the recipe (you may add pasta with the mussels, but this is often an appetizer and frnekly, i think pasta is a bit too filling for an appetizer).
40 mussels (20 per person)
4 oz. dry white wine
2 tsp. onions, spring or scallions (includes tops and bulb)
1 tsp. garlic
1 tsp. butter, with salt
1/4-tsp. bay leaf
1 tsp. parsley
1 tsp. fresh thyme
1 tsp. fresh rosemary
1 tsp. freeze-dried chives
salt and pepper

Directions:


Scrub and debeard the mussels, discarding any that remain open.

Combine the wine, onions, bay leaf, thyme, rosemary and garlic and bring to a simmer.

Add mussels, cover the pot and steam until the shells open.

Remove the mussels and keep them warm while finishing the sauce.

Strain the steaming liquid, add parsley, chives, and mint and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serve the sauce ladled over the mussels.
(if you interested in the nutition info its roughly per serving: calories, 150 calories and serves two)

2 comments:

Candace Dempsey said...

I am so glad that you are going to talk to us about nuitrition as well as how to cook. I love butter but have high cholesterol. I would never have thought of the Canola oil to take the place of clarified butter in recipes.

P.S. I will stop back to see how you're doing in school. Good luck.

azusmom said...

Oh please! More recipes! Pleaseohpleaseohplease? That salmon in poblano sauce looks so good, I almost licked the computer.