Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Intro to Culinary Arts II !


so yesterday was the first day of Intoduction to Culinary Arts II. The biggest difference between this class and my last on is that we will be learning to work with protiens like poultry, fish, beef, lamb, etc. Plus, we serve complete dishes (each must have a protein, starch, and vegetable) and in between a certain time window (to mimic what its like to turn out plates on time for when you work at a resturant). My new chef is kinda laid back, hes huge, like the green giant, but soft spoken so a friendly giant. He graduated from the same culinary school but 7 years ago. The first day we had a little lecture about poultry (next week is beef, than fish...) and we had to "fabricate" two chickens and truss them. Fabrication is merely butchering off the breasts, wings, thighs, drunsticks, etc. Trussing is putting it under arrest, or just tying it's legs together and then binding it at its neck so its all compacted together. Today we only need to produce one dish: herb roasted chicken, with roasted garlic mashed potatoes, pan gravy, and zuchinni and squash tournes. My potatos were out of this world, but it seemed like forever until mychicken would get done. You have to test it's temperature and it needs to be at least 165 degrees. Mine kept reading 140 or 150. But my time limit was nearing so i just busted it out of the oven, carved it nicely, and served it. My new chef, lets call him Chef Kahuna (cause he looks kinda hawaiian), said my gravy was not emulsified enough, but that my chicken was perfect, juicy, moist, and flavorful. woo hoo. He also busted my for chewing gum during class, o well., i am not perfect, but i need to get the garlicy taste out of my mouth from my mashed potato tasting! well tomorrow's menu is grilled chicken with rice pilaf, red bell pepper couli, green beans, and tortilla soup. Going with a south of the border theme i see....

No comments: