Thursday, November 15, 2007

Grilling and the social scene!

So we did our gilled chicken yesterday, learning how to do it properly (cause most people completely mess it up) and making the perfect grill marks. It was served on a bed of rice pilaf with a red pepper coulis (a roasted red pepper sauce). My sauce broke down on me and was too thin, but Chef Kahuna said my chicken was emitting juices (a GOOD SIGN, its the opposite of a dry chicken which can taste like chalk). Today we do duck which is a darker meat than chicken and has a LOT of skin, so much so we took piece off to render it down into huge pots full of pure cholestorol! Wonder why ducks float? yep its that thick layer of fat that surronds their skin. Tomorrow i need to make Coq Au Vin and write an essay on its origin (would you like me to post that as well, do any of you even care?).
I realized i havent talked much about the social scene in class. Well, i notice now its really not that much different from the people that were in my dorms in college. Sure they take night classes, but a lot of them are younger than me (like 18 or 19) and still after two things, booze and drugs. this makes me sad, i thought I might find people with different interests than the college crowd i was used to. and incase you didnt notice, those two things are not really my scene. dont get me wrong. i've smoked a doobie here and there (although NEVER ciggaretes, sorry, its just that I saw my mom die in the respitory intensive care unit and the hospital and that just did it for me), and its not like i dont enjoy alcohol. I do, but i dont like getting drunk or sick. I went to the biggest party school in west coast so i had to take care of a lot of drunk people and i never want to go through the embarassment of someone doing that for me. I think good food and exercise is my drug. Believe nothing gets me off like a good block of rich chocolate and nice run. so i am noticing that i am gravitating towards the older people and even the chefs which this term are very young (under 30!). anyway, my carpool is honking and i need to sharpen my knives. hopefully i'll have time to write if i get let out early! thanks guys for reading!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

HW--I don't comment often enough, but I really like this blog. Culinary school seems fascinating to me, and it's fun to get an insight into it. I hope you can find a social niche--it sucks that people our age tend to like drugs and alcohol, and if you don't it's easy to feel kinda lonely. I'm sure you'll find some nice people in school.