Wednesday, April 16, 2008

My culinary anti-heros

a couple months back i listed some true culinary legends that inspired me to go to culinary school and overall wonderful role models (amoung them, Julia Child, Ruth Riechl). These people had true success in their field, but most importantly, they had true heart. Lately, i've read about a bunch of people that bluntly, piss me off! They have no respect for food, no compassion, and probably were given a plethora of bad meals. heres the list:


Karl Largerlfeld: he recently stated: "I hate the smell of cooking. Some people love it, but I don't care for it. I don't eat sweet things. I don't eat greasy things. And I like fish better than meat. In fact, I hate meat. My doctor calls me to eat meat twice a week, as apparently we are cannibals. There used to be a Nobu here in Paris but it was very bad; it was horrible". Not to mention, he stated in the same article that he hates fat people. I know he must be a very talented fashion designer, but I think he needs to wise up, realize the world doesn't revolve around him and eat trans-fat laden fried twinkie for god's sake!

Robert Irvine: I never liked his show (dinner: impossible) because it was totally staged, aparently so was his resume. he lied about his resume including cooking at the White House, knighthood, a university degree and making Lady Diana's wedding cake. I hate nothing more than people who name names to further their career. He may be nice, but a chef should set a good example (it does mean "cheif" in french).

Natsuko "Gal" Sone : The leading Japanese competitve eater, i give her props because she's unconventional (being a female in a male dominated "sport") but i put her on my list because i think competetive eating degrades the purpose of food. Food is pleasure, nourishment, art, but i dont think you can really get that by shoving X amount of hotdogs, cakes, or wings. this just kind of makes me sick and i want people to taste food, not force it down.

6 comments:

Jill said...

Interesting facts, and I agree on all. Dinner: Impossible is one of the most disappointing Food Network shows... rarg.

Charlotte said...

great post!! Lost of "food" for thought:) Lagerfield - one of the most quotable nutjobs out there! I totally agree with you about the competitive eaters. I can't even watch them, it gags me. I don't know how they don't puke.

hungry waif said...

i think they actually do puke, but if they puke, they loose. Food isn't meant to be puked or shoved down. I also forget to mention John McCain's wife, simply because i recent;ly read she ripped off some recipes from the food network. dude i steal recipes all the time, but give the writers some credit!

carla said...

I LAUGH AT KARL.

me thinks he sang a different tune a few years back :)

carla said...

(and I saw that about mccains wife. WHAT WAS SHE THINKING?!)

hungry waif said...

carla, she wasn't! i read more about it, it was a rachel ray recipe!