Sunday, April 13, 2008

Healthy sushi choices!


adress the comment from my previous post, i'll give you my little guide to health sushi navigation. First of all, let me just say that every sushi place will vary a little bit so ask when your unsure. Some places sneak in mayo into basic rolls like cucumber and spicy tuna rolls. ask if they do this. Nigiri is ok because there usually is no chance of mayo getting in there. Tuna, Salmon, yellow tail, shrimp, and crab are the good choices for seafood. mackrel is great but fairly high in fat so if your watching that, just be aware. Eel is sometimes fried but some places bake them so agian, ask. sushi rice does actually have sugar in it so don't load up on the rice, unless theres a marathon tomorrow, then by all means carbo load. Miso soup, edemmae and seaweed salads are great starters. Soy sauce has A LOT of sodium so try tamari which is what soy sauce is based out of only it has about 1/3 less salt (and its good if you gluten intolerant, soy sauce has wheat). Wasabi and ginger are also harmless condiments. Tempra anything is battered and fried, its like the KFC of sushi. some crazy specialty sushi's like those "rainbow" or "spider" rolls are usually slathered in may somewhere. go for simple rolls and go easy on the rice. and bring a case of emergency fork if your like me and are a complete chop stick novice! (ps, i didn't make the top roll with the avocado on top, i did the inside out one next to it)

4 comments:

carla said...

KFC of sushi.

you crack me up.

Unknown said...

Thanks! Very enlightening:)

Charlotte said...

Oooh! Thank you SO much for this. I've always wondered about it as my husband and I are big sushi fans!

Jill said...

The problem I have been coming across is sugar in cheap soy sauce, so I would watch for this too!