Monday, April 28, 2008

"Cooking" Demo


so i went to the book festival yesterday and Brian Malarkey (from Miami Top Chef season) signed my book and gave me a hug. I saw Padma Lakshami's scheduled cooking demo too. It was rather silly, everything was already made basically and she didn't even assemble anything! she made goat cheese flauntas and after she assembled one, she asked someone from the audience to do the rest and fry them! in the meantime, she did a reading from her book. I think she is gorgeous and not your typical "model/actress" but i don't think she's a chef, and i have a feeling she didn't come up with the recipes in her book all on her own. I love that she proudly displays her scar shamelessly. I have a scar too on my right shoulder, not as noticeable as hers but still, a good conversation starter (although i never wear tank tops). Anyways, here's the picture of Padma "cooking". the line for her to sign was too long and it was 90 degrees outside and i was already beginning to resemble a lobster.

4 comments:

WeightingGame said...

Love her Love her Love her.I can't believe she was married to Rushdie!
Goat cheese flautas sound amazing - and I don't even technically know a flauta from a tamale (please tell me they're related somehow?)

hungry waif said...

no apparently, a flaunta is like a fried taco. I LOOOOOOVE Tamales because i love the masa that hugs the filling, but these were just fried tacos :( I cant believe she was married to him too, imagine that conversations before going to bed! I dont feel smart enough to even talk to him.

gc said...

i love padma lakshami! I think she is so gorgeous!

L.B. said...

I make flautas by dipping tortillas in oil and baking them. They're kind of like a fried burrito if you will. Usually they're made with chicken but you could put whatever you want in them. They're very different from tamales.