Saturday, May 31, 2008

Gambas!


I made this dish with another classmate. I needed the help peeling all those shrimp which was murder for my fingers since the package they came in was frozen. they were simple to make, sauted in olive oil, chili flakes, and a spanish paprika. We had a little lecture about spain afterward with a whole break-down of the way they eat their meals. Actually, they eat a lot like me. they have a light breakfast or sometimes no real breakfast because they like to wake up late (like me). then they have a light lunch around 2, followed by a nap. then a little tea break around 4 or 5pm. then a little light dinner around 7 pm (like tapas and little appetizer sized portions) and then a real full course grand meal around 9 or 10pm. It seems like they must eat so much that they must face some obesity problem but not that what they do it is wholesome and fresh. They have wonderful local produce, wines, olive oils, seafood, etc. I've been to most of Europe but not Spain so i really hope to visit sometime in the near future. I'd also love to see more Spanish resturants. i only know of two "semi-decent" ones in LA and i know of a few in New York, but i think its a very tasty cuisine thats a bit underrated.

3 comments:

changetheworld360 said...

Sounds really cool! I hope you become an exceptional chef someday.

Charlotte said...

Um, have any of your teachers lived in Spain? Both my husband and I lived there for years (and go back on occassion for visits) so let me preface this by saying that I LOVE Spain and the spaniards with all my heart but their food IS DISGUSTING. There is a reason there are not Spanish restaurants. The only good thing to come from Spanish cuisine is paella and in a distant second, flan. The deep-fat fry everything, pour oil over it and then fry it again. If you're lucky they'll throw "jamon cerrano" on top which is like jerky from ham except it's not dried, it's cured in salt brine so it's raw AND slimy. Don't even get me started on chorizo or conejo (rabbit).

Although both my husband and I didn't have much money so we lived like most of the people there do. I suppose in the fancy restaurants there is some better food? My digestion is recovering my trips there.

Sorry to rant on your site, Waif:) I'm glad your dish turned out well! It looks delish.

hungry waif said...

o no charlotte, rant away, ive never been so its great to hear the authentic version! I am sorry about your recovering stomach :( but i suppose cleanliness was not practiced religously like it is here or even in france.