Thursday, May 15, 2008

Final Freakout!!

You may have noticed how i haven't been posting lately here or over at Nutritious Junk, but that's because I've been super stressed with finals!!! I can finally breathe a little now that i get an hour and a half break while my buffet is being graded (btw, my chef knows about this blog so if he's reading, please be gentle, this was a tough one). For those of you who aren't in my class (because since now the word is out about my blog, i suspect people check it to see if i wrote any nasty things about them), let me break it down how the Garde Manger finals work. We had a written final on Monday, then we have to prep for a buffet of our very own (individual, NO TEAMS like before) with 3 different canapes with 12 of each and a chicken galantine. With four and a half days of prep, you'd think this is easy, right? well thats not all. On tuesday, we drew out of a hat two assinged salads and needed to present two appetizer portions of each at the alloted time. On Wednsday, we drew a sandwich and needed to present 12 tea sandwiches of our choice (i went with egg salad, i felt if i went for something too simple like cucumber or watercress, i'd be graded more harshly). I am sure you guys think sandwiches are super simpel and they are! but not when you have to make your own mayo, grill/roast your veggies, cook your bacon, make you spread etc. and today (thursday) we need to be clean and present our themed buffet at 8:30. I chose my theme to be "The Garden of Eden". I had the tree of life (sans apples, i guess eve ate them all) made out of salt dough (which is the culinary term for play dough, now i know why play dough tastes so salty, and yes, i was the adventuerous child who actually tried play-dough). O yes, and of course we need to present 10 vegtable carvings and a melon carving. I feel like i am about to collapse. tomorrow i also am just loaded with personal stuff i need to take care of (two doctors appointments, 1 job interview, laundry, groceries, etc) and i still need to go to school to help clean the lab before the next term and recieve my final grade. Gahh! i will take a picture when i can get back into the lab in about an hour and you guys can give me feed back. Not my best work, but lord knows i tried the best i could and given the circumstances, i am not completely dissatisfied, at least all my components are there (i hope?). anyhow, i am going to get some grub, strange this is all really about food and i forget to feed i have a growling stomach.

No comments: