Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Ultra-Annoying and Produce Picking


Well I had a very strange morning....I had an abdominal ultra-sound. no, i am not pregnant, but ive been having some tummy issue so my doctor suggested i get it checked out. This meant i had to eat nothing about 8 hours before. Normally, the avergae person might find this easy, but not me cause i am a late night owl and i like to spend my nights eating and relaxing. I know, i should be able to just not eat that late for one night, but even just telling myself that made it incredibly hard. Anyhow that aside, I realized i am only about a week and half away from starting school. I should relish this extra free time, but i am really not doing anything exciting especially with my hip and all. (although i might add its feeling better, cant run yet, but i can walk ok). Can i just say that as i am writing this, i am snacking on a costco size bag of baby-carrots (better than cheetos i figure) but i must say these taste off, has that ever happened to you? sometime i just get a batch of bad baby carrots, like taste-less or something. Maybe i am paranoid, but one thing you should know about me is that i am a picky produce picker. My pal, Al can testify to that. I like my mushrooms and peaches hard, not firm, HARD. Same with cucumbers. And call me crazy, but i prefer big, thick, stalks when it comes to choosing romaine lettuce, as in more of that crunchy-ness and less leafy-ness. I am crazy right? and the very odd thing, i find the veggies and fruits at the farmer's market to sometimes (not always, sometimes)be underwhelming compared to the beautiful, unblemshied display at places like Whole Foods. I dont really believe the whole organic hype, mainly because i cant afford it, but also its a bit over-hyped. As far as where my produce comes from, i can't say i raise the bar that high. If its tasty, i'll eat it. My mom had a similar philosphy, i remember her driving me back from pre-school and buying oragnes and cherries from those people that sell them off the high way. My dad didnt like this and told her "do you know how many chemcials they sprayed over it?". but my mom shrugged it off and ate them anyway cause she figure, hey they taste good, and she probably helped a guy pay his rent. I just wish she could come produce picking with me today.

No comments: