Friday, March 21, 2008

Yet another cry for help!

Man what a week! finals are on monday and work a little differently for this class. Monday is our written exam and right after is our "mystery box" practical. this isn't a mystery box like before this time its way more difficult, and thus the plea for help. this time i need to make a plated dessert using devil's food cake (the cake needs to be part of the dessert, the dessert itself cnt just be a slice of devil's food cake), pastry cream, orange, and thyme! God i hate this!!! everyone got a weird spice. i dont know why they did that because we never learned how to use savory herbs in desserts. I have a feeling my dish will taste pretty awful. Then on tuesday and wednsday we have all class to prep for thursday when I have to turn in: 12 round dark chocolate truffles, 12 petit four cakes, 12 orange anise flavored biscotti, and a whole dobos torte (remember the pic i took of mine a little while back?). I actually have to turn in a hot chocolate souffle on wednsday at 8:10 pm EXACTLY becasue those need to be served right away otherwise they'll deflate. i need to time it perfectly, i loose points if it early or late! Anyhow, i stumped about this mystery box, the only think i can think of is baking the cake on sheet pan (so its thin and flat) and rolling it with the orange/thyme pastry cream. But i dont really thing this cake will roll nicly because its so moist and not very sponge-y. anyhow ideas would be much appreciated :)

3 comments:

Jill said...

I've heard of thyme and fruit cupcakes (they used peaches) and cream cheese frosting, but I don't know! That's hard!

Jill said...

Oh! One more thing I found that is kind of helpful (maybe???) http://www.pastrywiz.com/archive/jamaicc.htm

carla said...

hey,

It's not glamorous and Im confident youhave more readers HOWEVER email me if youd like to do a guest chef gig at MizFitOnline.com sometime.

Id love it and I know my readers would...


Carla