Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Charlotte Royal, and is culinary school right for you?


Here's the Charlotte royal i made monday. When we present a cake, we need to slice it, put it on a platter, and pipe our names and the dish name in choclate around the rim (so long to my annonyminty, now you know my name!). To be honest, i didn't like it, not just the fact that a messed up the sponge but i just didn't like the taste. Its filled with Bavarian cream, and i am not big on creams. I dont know, this isn't exactly my kind of dessert, I like chocolate and nutty-ness to my desserts, this was kinda lacking although pistachios did encrust the bottom as you can see.
Anyhow, when i read over some of the responses to my interview over at workout mommy's blog,many people said how much they've always wanted to go to some sort of culinary school or program. I hear this a lot, i went to the grocery store a few times in my uniform (which i dont this i will do again because i get stopped all the time and people ask me "which is the best dressing?" or "can you choose my fish?". It was fun at first, kind of like being a celebrity, but like celebs, it gets annoying) and many clerks told me, "wow, your in culinary school?! You know I ;ve always wanted to go". Sure they want to go, but its a bit like working out, they seem to find some excuse from actually doing it and they dream about it, thinking its a far fetched idea and too drastic of a decision to actually put into action. So i thought I'd give a quick rundown about whether or not its a good decision for you. every one's different, of course, but this is simply how i come to see it since starting:

-You dont really want to be a chef. Well, neither do i, but its cool to know i could. Anyhow, i dont think culinary school is all about making young aspiring chefs. the knowledge you gain is invaluable in MANY fields and believe it or not, it is impressive even on a resume for a law firm. Why? well for one, i dont think theres a better way to really learn about team work, multi-tasking (especially when you only have an hour to make 7 cookie batters like i did on Tuesday!), leadership, and communication. Its more hands on than anything you'll get in a college or university. and there's loads of directions you can take the culinary educations that does not involve being a chef. you can be food writer, food critic, recipe developer, caterer, restaurateur, food stylist, personal chef, etc. Many people in my school are also older people that left their dead end jobs because they were so unhappy and just want to enhance their beloved hobby.

-You can't afford it. Most culinary school cost as much as a year in an ivy league college, but there are LOADS of scholarship opportunities and grants you can qualify for (like if you keep up good grades). Not to mention most school will offer financial aid. this didn't actually help my situation because my dad thankfully is paying for it and we're middle class, so he makes too much to get a substantial financial aid grant. Also, once you enroll many special event promoters (like for swanky parties and premieres) love to recruit culinary studeent for their events and they pay nicely (from 10-20$ an hour). you basically will never have to settle for minimum wage again, believe me, a culinary education will hellp you get better jobs in any food extablishment

-Its too drastic. well is it? many people think its crazy to do something they love so much, like WE SHOULD dread going to work/school. most culinary programs are about 1 year to 2 years so its not a lifelong commitment, and you can always drop out (and it not beauty school with matching "grease" remind you of it). Yes it will be a change, but if cooking is something you love you'll enjoy the drastic change.

Look, I was sitting in a 300 person lecture hall learning about the Yanomamo tribe in Bali when I THOUGHT i would be learning about acting and drama which was my major in college. I was unhappy, and just trying to get throught each day, hoping it would be over soon. I felt so unproductive, like i was running on a tredmill (and a bad, squeaky one at that, you know the kind that make all the noise and people stare at you funny in the gym because of it becuase its distracting). I still love acting, but i love cooking too and I love learning about something i care about. I look forward to the next day! I love that I get to make creme brulee on monday (puts manic monday to shame!). I think we too often supress our aspirations because we think its bad to do something you love SOOOOO much. But i have yet to meet someone that went to culinary school and regreted it. again, its like working out, you never workout and say "hmm, i really am sorry i did that".

2 comments:

L.B. said...

Wait, your name isn't Hungry Waif?

Seriously, though, it's cool you pursued something you like and enjoy. I've done the same thing and while my career isn't as challenging as yours, it fulfills me and helps pay the bills... but barely! I know I couldn't make it in culinary school, for many of those same reasons you mentioned.

Anyway, I was meaning to ask you your recommendations on a good dressing...



(joking, of course)

Unknown said...

There are many vegetarian culinary programs in country that offer variety of culinary programs. The culinary education become more popular day by day, every teenager want to make career in culinary filed, it provide lots of opportunity to enhance the quality skills of culinary students.

http://www.culinaryschoolsprograms.com/