Wednesday, January 9, 2008

This Waif Can Cook, But Can She Bake?


ahh so i started baking Monday. Man SO different from my previous cooking classes. First of all, its on an entirely different campus! It only holds baking and pastry classes. We have gotten smaller in class size so we only have on instructor. He's a hard ass, military type man, so let call him Chef Sargent. I think he might be a good instructor though. anyhow, we started by making dough for baguettes and "epi" (which looks like a wheat sheaf but its just a baguette cut with easy to tear off pieces). Mine actually turned out pretty ok, despite my horibile scoring! Yesterday we made whole wheat dinner rolls which i am sorry to day i totally burned! how embarassing! they weren't burnt to a crisp, they were still very much edible, but a litte on the dark side. I must say, i havent been in baking very long, but i can tell you already, i prefer cooking. its very slow, we have to wait for it to proof, rise, bake, i get impatient and i dont even have ADD. anyhow, i also have math classes at 8am til 2pm every saturday now! I hate math and i know its impotant, but i really dont want to be baker. Today i do challah and brioche, that should be fun, i love challah and itll be like an homage to my Jewishness!

1 comment:

Brit said...

Your baguette looks lovely, but I do agree on the cooking vs. baking thing. I really dislike how baking has to be so calculated...you can be so much more creative and free with cooking...