Sunday, January 20, 2008

Overrated Food/Nutrition Trends!

I recently flipped through this magazine I'd never heard of called "Radar". This was actaully an old issue (my therapist needs to seriously update her magazine selection, where i spotted this odd-ball of a mag). They were giving 2007's overrated trend awards and i must say, i totally agreed with most of them (some i totally DIDNT and hope it got on the list as a joke). Celeb chef and potty mouth Anthony Bourdain gave a menu of dishes he thought were overrated (again, i agreed with most, stuff like "Be sure to sample our selection of flavored salts, and please await the water sommelier (Bourdain said) A chef who offers anything other than sea salt probably refers to himself in the third person. When the water sommelier comes over, I reach for my gun." SO heres my list of totally overrated food and nutrition fads of the year:

Pinkberry: I love fro yo as much as the average health nut, but serisouly, shelling out six bucks for plain tart yogurt with some berries on top and waiting half an hour for the employees to do this is nothing short of overrated. I am thrilled healthier snacks are becoming trendy, better this that the krispy kreme boom, but this overpriced, over hyped yogurt is nothing special.

Shaved Truffles: Anthony mentioned this but i have to second it. Most of the time, when i see "shaved" or "accented" with truffles on a menu, i just see it as an easy way to over-charge without people thinking twice about it. Also, it tells me the dish underneath is probably mediocre that the truffles need to compensate. Indeed its a lazy chef's way to enhance the price of his menu without really streching his culinary imagination.

Whole Foods: Sorry, and i know i frequent there but some people treat it like its a health food mecca. the reality, the quality is not THAT impressive, not EVERYTHING is organic, its not saving the planet from global warming (i know they try though, but they still carry many goods imported from far off places like New Zealand so they shouldn't go off bragging that they aren't leaving a carbon footprint). Also, its kinda like mall and many people just go to "window shop" and leave without really buying anything. Propbably because although the food looks entcing, its much cheaper elsewhere. I see celebs there, its like a label, some people buy at whole foods to say, "i got this from whole foods".

Vitamins: This made radar's list and i totally agree. Some people will spend hundreds of dollars a month on vitamin supplements alone. And get this, most, if they eat more than top ramen and coke, will not need all that supplementation. Infact, they could OD on it. My dad got kidney stones because of too much vitamin C in his system (a combo of popping supplements, drinking OJ daily, and eating plenty of fruits and veggies). A simple multi might be ok for most people and maybe even none if you eat REALLY healthy. the one thing maybe to consider is a calcium supplement for women, but thats not a vitamin. and quit it with those vitamin infused waters will ya? they taste like, well water, and cost twice as much and een have added sugar.

any others you can think of?

3 comments:

WeightingGame said...

Well, this isn't really a trend but I think fancy chocolate (like Godiva) is way over-rated. I would rather have a maple buttercream from Fannie Mae for 1/3 the cost of a fancy schmancy truffle. Tastes sooo good. Although dark choco is all the rage lately...but I can get some damn good dark chocolate from Hersheys :-)

Charlotte said...

I think the whole "organic" trend is overrated. Local is more important to me than organic. The way our government defines that label has sooooo many loopholes as to be almost meaningless. If I buy my food from farmers I know I can watch to see what they're doing to it. Go local!!

PS> Leslie, gotta disagree with you girl! I worked at Godiva and now all Hersheys tastes like wax to me. Plus the hefty Godiva pricetag keeps me from bingeing!

azusmom said...

I like Whole Foods, too, but I agree. It's a store, not a revolution. You can find similar quality products at places like Trader Joe's, for a lot less money.
But the staff tend to be friendly and helpful, which is nice,lol! (And the one near us has a great Indian buffet.)

I love Godiva. Just thought I'd throw that out there.